What WoW members
suggested is as follows:-
Before making any new infrastructure Â– repair and look after the existing good
1. Cross-city route signage is all over the place and the
patience of the campaign is being tried severely in advising the council on
which corrections to make. No progress in two years. Ranger group is available
to accompany WCC staff and sort
this mess out Â– easy!
Street crossing cycle lane
markings are worn out.
3. Worcester Street shared use and cyclists right turn
markings are worn out [on the minutes of cycle forum meetings for over two
See list in the document library. At the meeting the
following were suggested :-
4. Dudley Street has very little cycle parking now with
large casual use of planter railings. Sheffield
stands are handy against ram-raiders when placed in front of shops. Strong
support from all present.
5. On the terracing on Queen Square in front of Nationwide BS.
6. Replacement programme for Wolverhampton
libraries wheel clincher cycle parking which is unusable - especially after
loading panniers with a few heavy books. Alastair. Encourage chief
librarian to get going with their Green Travel plan. DfT grants available?.
Awful cycle parking at e.g. Oxley and Bantock Park
7. Cycle Parking for the public at New Cross Hospital is scarce. Sarah and Phil S
8. Wolverhampton markets
needs more cycle parking to generate more non-car shopping trips. Also in time
for 12 September stage finish. Cycle- shopping promotion for WCC ? Alastair H is an expert.
9. West park cafÃ© . Change those Byelaws!! Alastair.
10. More cycle parking at Waterworld due to popularity!
Dropped Kerbs Â–
Simplest new infrastructure
11. Oak Street at the Owen Road
12. Pavement in front of low level station colonnade where
a dropped kerb exists on the Union
Street side already. DH
Road end of the track from Laburnum Drive [ WÂ’ton to Bilston route avoiding
14. All Saints Road / Steelhouse Lane at the road plug. Sarah
S. Cycle Map correction no plug with through-cycling shown
Road, Oxley by Lymer Road entrance
plus a permitted route across the pavement to the lorry lay-by on the other
side of the air pollution sampling station. Encourage Elston Hall Road to Stafford Road cycling.
16. Old Hall Street
Â– dropped kerb at Garrick Street
end still has a 25 mm upstand after five years. Very dangerous for left turning
17. Toucan Crossing at Cannock Road railway bridge beside pub
and Springfield Brewery. Planning Gain? Promote a link from FowlerÂ’s park to
Low level station.
18. Tiger crossing upgrade at Vine island, Fordhouses as
part of Cycling England sponsored trial.
19. Upgrade pelican crossing to a Toucan on Goldthorn Hill
by Elizabeth Avenue.
20. The BIG ONE.
Develop a programme and implementation plan leading to the formal opening of
NCN81 in Wolverhampton with WoWcc, Henry Harbord
- the new Sustrans regional Manager , and John Harris of BW. WCC part is to include signed links to the canal
route, upgrades to the Cross-City route [or weÂ’ll demand the safety audit for
Evans Street / Bargate Drive under the Freedom of Information act] and upgrade
of parallel route in FowlerÂ’s Park which avoids 2 canal bridgeholes.
21. Plan a local signed route network per the scrutiny
panel into cyclingÂ’s recommendations and following on from sorting out the plan
for the National Cycle Route in the previous point.
22. Cycling to/from WÂ’ton railway station from All Saints Â–
23. Wolverhampton to
Bilston signed route. Lower Walsall
Street [ East Park]
http://www.camcycle.org.uk/map/location/10823/ Green Park Avenue towards Mountford Road.
Route avoids A41 with its tramway.
24. East Park to Graiseley via Cable Street and Caledonia Road.
Avenue and Sutherland Road to Westminster Avenue.
Conversion of footway to cycle way given twenty years steady use. AH. See
Documents Archive. This then becomes City Centre to Penn route by extending the
signed Goldthorn Hill cycle route.
26. Waterworld to Wyrley and Essington Canal
towpath. Cycleway on pavement goes down to a gloriously-designed dead-end on
the opposite side of the canal from the towpath.
Walsall Street to
Priestfield trackbed. Complete makeover. Phil S.
28. Shared Use cycle way on ring road St DavidÂ’s from Lock Street
(Carvers) to Bath Road
(Cross-City route). Handy for kmÂ’s of cycle lanes added measure of performance!
29. Penn island to Merridale Street / Church Street Â– Alastair
30. Bilston to Tipton. Connect to Cycling in Sandwell on Weddall
Others Â– plugs,
signs, removal from prohibitions etc
Street. Plug road to
traffic except cycles at the Ettingshall
Road end by the Metro bridge. Stephen S
32. Right turn ban Lichfield Street to Princess St. Change
to Except Cycles.
33. Bradmore Road northbound. Road narrows sign is needed
34. All Saints
Road. Sign needed in Gower Street to warn motorists of
cyclists riding from All Saints Road through the plug to Steelhouse Lane. Sarah S.
35. Restore 2 way cycle traffic to Church Street, Bilston.
36. Lift ban on cycling in Parks. Everyone does ride in
them already and there are no collisions reported. Get parks department to
cycle round their parks instead of drive a diesel van! A Brox quadricycle can
move a lot a gear or bags or rubbish. See CTC
Benchmark for cycling in Parks which goes to Reading Council.
Wednesfield Road Bus Gate
Cyclists Push Button - agreed but not completed